Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Saving a Few Euros on a Rental Bike is Never a Good Idea

hitching a ride home
broken chain
post two beers, pre-broken chain
chain repair


Dorothy, Julie and I rented bikes today after my class. Dorothy found a "perfectly good" bike in the 6 Euros section, while Julie and I opted for 9 Euros bikes. About one-third of the way into our ride we discovered the benefit of paying the additional 3 Euros. Dorothy's chain kept falling off- 10+ times. Luckily, I was a bike mechanic in a different life, or maybe it's an ability one acquires from being a Mom to 3 boys. Regardless, the skill to replace a bike chain came in handy today. However, even my mechanical skills were unable to help us when, after stopping for beer we bagan biking home and her entire chain broke- in half. Luckily, the two beers each of us had consumed made hitching rides from each other more fun, and certainly less painful.